First Minor Freak Out

Last Monday (11.19.2007) I got the first sign of a cold. I had heard that most medication was harmful for the baby to be. I started on a lot of citrus fruit, fluids and goggling with salt. A week later it had not gotten any better, but was worse. I was waking up often and had a slight fever. I called my primary doctor and got an appointment today.

What I thought was a cold had turned into bronchitis. This was not a big deal, I could handle this until the doctor prescribed Azithromycin, a medication she termed “Category B”. She couldn't prescribe any “Category A” medication because I am allergic to penicillin. I asked if it was safe for the baby and was told that it was but not enough study had been done to confirm it. I suggested she write the prescription and I would take Tylenol for the next few days and if it didn't get any better I would go pick up the prescription.

On my way home from the doctor’s appointment, I called Dave to get his opinion, but I couldn't get a hold of him. I already knew Dave’s response. He would say, “Just take it.” He’s also the one who doesn't understand why pregnant women can’t eat shell fish, deli meat, hot dogs or take medication. The list goes on…

The next person on my list to call was Amy, my sister-in-law. Amy is a mother of three and a pediatric nurse at hospital. If anyone had an answer, she would be the one. Her first response (which was sound advice) was to call my OB/GYN. She thought the medication was safe because they prescribe it to many of their patients.

Dung, Amy, Rebecca, Matthew and Megan in 2004

So I called my OB/GYN. The receptionist gave me my first freak out. She asked me to spell the medication which I did. She questioned the spelling of it and asked if I was sure it was an “A” and not an “E”. I started to ask myself various questions –

Did the doctor prescribe the right thing?
What will I do now?
What is wrong with the receptionist?
Etc…

The receptionist came back on the phone and told me she spoke to the nurse and it was safe. I felt better about taking the medication. How do pregnant handle such conflicts…to take medication while pregnant or not?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of School and Entering P-K

4/365

123/365